Friday, September 26th, 2008 | Author:

[This post is part of the Favorite Founders' Quote Friday sponsored by Meet the Founding Fathers. Go to the site to see who else has participated today.] I did not intentionally choose so many quotes this month from TJ. I think instead, they chose me. And today’s double dose give Jefferson the air of a prophet, given the current state of our government.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield
and government to gain ground.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Category: FFQF
  1. Hercules Mulligan says:

Ooo, two quotes! Both are very keen. He certainly gives the current state of our government, but he was only able to provide such great insight because he was an avid student of history. It’s sad how history has so exactly repeated itself in our case.

These quotes precisely compliment my post for the day. If you have a spare moment, I would love to hear any thoughts you have to give on them, if you have anything to say at all. I always look forward to your comments when you are able to give them.

I am sorry that I was so late in the day to leave my comment. I tend to leave long ones, because the posts I read (especially yours) get me going on a roll. Today has been busy, hence my silence during the day.

I will give you an email no later than next Thursday, with the theme for next month! Happy FFQF!

Is that why people don’t see what’s happening to our country – they haven’t studied history? I’d add that a good dose of the Holy Spirit would open some eyes, as well. (See my post tomorrow. I’m giving the message at church.)

Things have been especially busy around here, too, Herky. But I’m off now to re-read your post. I read it quickly yesterday, but didn’t have time then to comment, and I didn’t want to just leave a one-liner.

I can’t wait to hear the theme for next month. Can’tcha gimme a clue? :)

God bless you and yours.

3. Mrs. Mecomber says:

Wondeful post for today! These same quotes have been running through my mind this past week.

As much as I hate to see America descend into oligarchy and tyranny, I suppose it was somewhat expected– historically speaking anyway. Hamilton also predicted it. These guys knew human nature- they knew what man was made of- CLAY.

We wait for the city that has foundations, don’t we?

4. Hercules Mulligan says:

Jean, you’re exactly right. People need to study history to be enlightened about the nature of government and liberty. But you are also right in saying that people need the Holy Spirit to give them insight. Even Jefferson himself is an example of the dangers of looking at history without that safeguard. He respected the Bible as a history book (although he didn’t believe in direct divine intervention, the supernatural, etc.), but he believed that if one did enough of the good works prescribed by Jesus, he could become a good person. Even today, there are people who spend their whole careers studying history, the Founding Era, etc., and perhaps many of them without the intent to deceive. However, they examine history through the eyes of humanism (which comes in various forms, goes by many names, and waves many different flags). We need to be careful that we do not accept humanism cloaked with Christian titles and cliches. If we learn to think as God thinks — if we seek after His ways, we will be able to read history as it truly is: His story.

I look forward to your Sunday post. :) They are always very insightful.

Here is a little clue as to next moth’s theme: it has been a keyword of mine, in our discussion of this month’s theme liberty. Maybe that’ll make it easier to figure it out! You will definitely know by Thursday!

Mrs. Mecomber, I sure do wait for that City! It reminds me of something I heard Paul Washer say once. He said, “Everybody wants to go to heaven — they just don’t want God to be there when they get there! That’s what political theory is all about! Creating a paradise on earth, without God!” Isn’t that human nature! Israel didn’t want to confront or deal with a holy God, so they demanded a king! They wouldn’t turn from their idols to serve Jehovah, so they were willing to serve other kingdoms for a time, and when they got tired, looked to the judges and the prophets to keep them in line. There are too many examples.

But in His kingdom, there will be no unrighteousness, no hatred, to greed, no selfishness or laziness. Let’s get ready to take our part!

Mrs. M. said “As much as I hate to see America descend into oligarchy and tyranny…” I don’t think it would be the first choice for any of us, but let’s not discount God in this process. Along with that tyranny will come persecution, and some good old-fashioned persecution generally stirs real Christians out of their apathy. Perhaps we’re looking at the beginning of the next revival!

Herky said “Israel didn’t want to confront or deal with a holy God, so they demanded a king!” This subject is near and dear to my heart right now, for reasons I’ll tell you at another time. An excellent discussion of this is in my “worth reading” roll called “Man’s Tendency to Appoint a Mediator.” It also ties into my comment on your post about us being sheep. If we reject the True King, then we’ll follow somebody, anybody, because we’re made to follow. Baah, baah, baah … I guess I’m getting tired and silly, so I’ll stop now. :)

a clue, a clue … I’ve got it down to two: a “v” word and a “r” word. Am I right? Ami I right???

7. Hercules Mulligan says:

Hmm, interesting post Jean. I’ll have to read it when I get the chance.

And it looks like you’ve picked up from my clue! :D I’ll send you an email about it soon!