Monday, December 08th, 2008 | Author:

I posted a couple days ago about a SWAT team raid in Ohio on an organic farm family. Freaky Frugalite picked up on that post, and added another story about another SWAT team raid in Colorado. It seems an 11-year-old boy bumped his head, but appeared to be fine. A paramedic decided he should go to the hospital. When the father refused, the paramedic called in cops and social workers. A couple days later, SWAT stormed in and terrorized the whole family. The boy, who was forcibly taken to the hospital, was fine and needed no treatment.

[12/9 irony update: The Ohio farm family that was raided was missing one of its components. While his wife and children were being held at gunpoint, hubby was serving over in Iraq.]

This type of para-military over-reaction is becoming common in our land: from invading the home of a Maryland mayor and shootings his dogs, to tasing a man to death who was already in police restraints, this abuse of government power should generate outrage.

Honestly, I don’t expect a real response from secular America, who base their values on the latest TV reality show. I do expect a real response from Christian America, who supposedly cares about things like justice.

More importantly, I think God expects a real response from Christians – but it’s not happening. Why? Have we been so brainwashed that, no matter what the police do, it must be right? Are we afraid to rock the boat and pay a price for our Christianity? Are we too busy chasing after the almighty dollar? Or do we just not care, because it hasn’t happened to us?

Martin Niemoller, a Lutheran pastor in Nazi Germany, felt that he hadn’t done enough to stop the Holocaust, and wrote a poem after the war.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

It doesn’t take much imagination to update trade unionists into war protesters, or Jews into Mormons, and see a horrendous parallel.

A woman named Marga Meusel, in Berlin before the war, spoke out boldly to fellow Christians:

Why does the church do nothing? Why does it allow unspeakable injustice to occur? ‚Ķ What shall we one day answer to the question, where is thy brother Abel? The only answer that will be left to us, as well as to the Confessing Church, is the answer of Cain.” (“Am I my brother’s keeper?” Genesis 4:9)

And a man named Ezra cried out to God over 500 years before Christ:

O my God,
I am ashamed and embarrassed
to lift up my face to You, my God,
for our iniquities have risen above our heads
and our guilt has grown even to the heavens.
Ezra 9:6

Are we going to rise up, Christian America, and speak against injustice? Or are we going to someday stand before the throne and give our lame excuses?
  1. Ogre says:

Indeed. I read an article earlier this year (somewhere on the internets) about the Southern Baptist Church — it was asking where the church had gone. The church used to be strong in politics and standing up to proclaim when policies were wrong. Now all churches appear to be focused inward — or at least only on themselves.

Of course, being called to be in the world and not of it does merit some mention here. It appears the poem you mention is happening now in America. I wish I could say that I was surprised.

2. Hercules Mulligan says:

Hmm. Good question, and good post.

Part of the answer may lie in the fact that many American Christians today think that their duty consists in “voting their values” at the polls, and that’s about it. Get rid of abortion, sodomy, put back prayer in schools and secure our rights of religious expression, win some court cases, elect some professing Christians, and tada! we’re a Christian nation again.

I’ve been thinking a little bit about this issue myself, and my reflections have made me a tad melancholy. Bush and his administration has been supported by mainstream evangelicals, for the simple reason that he claims to be born again, and is “pro-life.” (Which lives?) They don’t have a problem with the Iraq war, so on, because they have been so blinded by the propaganda. Stick a Christian label on it, and we will swallow almost anything.

It doesn’t matter that Bush is a forthright globalist. It doesn’t matter that he has declared himself to be above the Constitution he swore to uphold, by publicly calling it a “blankity-blank piece of paper.” It doesn’t matter that he has continued the tradition of illegally monitoring American citizens, and breaching our other rights through the “Patriot” Act, but refuses to get involved to save the life of Terri Shiavo (suddenly, THAT issue would be left up to state and local authorities). It doesn’t even matter that he said Christians and Muslims worship the same god — publicly, on at least two different occasions!!

We wanted to outlaw abortion, and we wanted certain kinds of judges on the bench. We could have chosen to be responsible, but instead we asked for a king, who told us what we wanted to hear, and gave us “fix the problem quick with a law and with a ruling”. And now we have one.

I regret from the bottom of my heart to say, that Bush owes the remnant of support that he has, or ever did have, to the evangelical American voters who still go with the flow. Apparently, bowing your head in a moment of silence, and signing abortion bans is more important that the most basic respect for the laws of the land.

I hope that more and more Christians will realize our fatal error, and quickly repent and wake up before we are gulped down whole.

I think you’re right, Ogre, about the focus of most established churches. They’re more concerned with building their congregation (and the collection plate) than building the body of Christ, or even representing Jesus on earth.

A pastor I met last spring said that churches serve the community, but chaplaincies serve themselves. I don’t think we have many churches left.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ah, don’t be melancholy, Herky. God is still on His throne, even if most Americans don’t recognize that fact. I can understand your feelings, though. It’s a very sad thing to see the great American dream get flushed away.

If enough Christians repent, then God may relent on His judgment of our country. In fact, that’s the topic of a sermon I’m giving at church this Sunday.

But I fear hard times are headed our way. Stay close to the Lord, Herky. He’s the only one who will be able to see you through.

5. Hercules Mulligan says:

Thanks Jean. I look forward to your sermon.

6. PaulsHealthblog.com says:

My wife showed me this and it is scary.

Guilty until proven innocent. How sad.

It is sad, Paul. I think the scariest part is that most people don’t even realize what’s happening.

Thanks for stopping by.