Friday, February 20th, 2009 | Author:

Threecollie alerted me to this story from Oklahoma, perhaps because she knew I wouldn’t be able to resist a little ranting. So here’s my rant.

It seems a Christian named Chip Harrison, who opposes abortion, had a sign in his car that said, “Abort Obama, Not the Unborn.” Some over-zealous Oklahoma City cops who pulled him over and confiscated his sign said that he had a right to his beliefs, but the Secret Service “could construe this as a threat against President Obama.”

The Internal Investigations department called Harrison later in the day, telling him that the Secret Service said his sign was not a threat, so it would be returned to him.

Then the Secret Service called Harrison, wanting to chat and take a little walk through his house to see if he was part of any hate groups. After talking with his lawyer, Harrison had a “very cordial” talk with the agents and let them walk through his house.

Police Spokesman Capt. Steve McCool (is that an appropriate name, or what?) had this to say:

”(The officer) shouldn’t have taken the sign,” McCool said. “That was (Harrison’s) First Amendment right to voice his concern.” McCool said although the sign should not have been confiscated, the situation was made right in the end. ”We always try to do the right thing and in the end we believe we did the right thing by returning the sign,” McCool said.

Right? RIGHT?? WRONG!!!

1) Either somebody is lying, or the police department supported the officer’s decision until after they got an all-clear from the Secret Service.

2) Harrison needs an education on his rights and his lawyer should be debarred for advising him to a) talk to the Secret Service and b) consent to let them violate the privacy of his home.

I can’t do anything about his lawyer, but here’s an educational and very entertaining video from James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney.

He gives the advice Harrison should have gotten. He gives the advice everyone should get. If we do not exercise our rights as citizens, we are effectually giving consent to living in a police state – and that’s just where we’ll wind up.

1. threecollie says:

Thank you for dealing with this! I knew you would get it right!

2. Cato says:

So very right. Good post.

The news story at the OK media site was disgusting, loaded with propaganda.

3. Dan says:

Don’t talk to cops or any investigator of any kind from any government agency, whether they wear a uniform and badge, a suit, or a skirt.

Great post!!

Thanks, 3C, you sure know which buttons to push. :)

Of course it was, Cato. It’s MSM!

Thanks, Dan, I know you speak from the voice of experience. Perhaps someone will listen.

I saw this online somewhere yesterday. When it came to the part about the SS wanting to “have a little talk” with the guy and walk through his house to see if he had any officially-unapproved associates … and that he went along with it … I cringed. When, oh when, are we going to wake up and realize that we’re living in an occupied country? And that people in uniforms, of any sort, are at least presumptively our enemies?

I cringed, too, Jim, until I saw that he went along AFTER talking with his lawyer, and then I just got mad.

My pal Cato has been advising that instead of reciting the pledge of allegiance, wherever that happens, we recite the Bill of Rights and the declaration of independence. Waddya think? :)

Great idea!

Or maybe something shorter and easier to remember. Example: the individual takes out a pocket-sized Gadsden flag (“don’t tread on me”), does nothing in particular with his or her hands, and “recites” in a casual manner: I don’t pledge allegiance … to the Gadsden flag … or to any other. But it is kind of cool.

The possibilities are endless …

Completely unrelated question: did you write the haiku under “Incomprehensible” near the top of the right-hand bar? I really, really like that.

I like it! And it does open up a world of possibilities. Hmmm … that sounds like a post that would come from the Chestnut Tree Cafe. :)

You're right, the Bill & declaration are kinda long. Maybe those should be the graduation test.

And, yes, the haiku is mine, but I was just the means. That one was definitely Holy-Spirit-inspired.