Wednesday, September 02nd, 2009 | Author:

Welcome to the Word for Wednesday meme! Each week, we share a scripture that has touched our hearts, whether it’s an old favorite or new light from the Holy Spirit. If you’d like to join us, post your scripture, with as much or as little commentary as you choose, and leave a link in the comments below. And be sure to check out the other posts! You’re also welcome to use this photo of my favorite Bible.

* * *

Let’s suppose that you’re like me and occasionally you blow it. Big time. You do something really stupid-selfish-careless-mean-choose-your-own-adjective. Someone is hurt by your action. What’s your first response?

Do you blame it on the injured party? “Well, if you hadn’t done X, then I wouldn’t have done Y.”

Or maybe you compare yourself to other people. “So-and-so did much worse.”

Or maybe you take God’s grace for granted. “I know I’m not perfect, but God forgives me.”

The problem with all of these responses is that, not only are they dishonest, but you are defending yourself.

One real benefit of being a born-again Christian is that you no longer have to defend yourself. You can say “mea culpa” and go to the foot of the cross.

For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:15-16)

No matter what you’ve done, you can find mercy. No matter how much hurt you’ve caused, you can find the grace that says, “I know what you did, but I love you anyhow. I forgive you. Now repent and start again.”

During a very difficult time in my life I heard a version of this song, and it was a blessed reminder of what Jesus did for us. I hope it’s a blessing to you, too.

1. Queen of Pith says:

Guilty as charged! That or I cry for forgiveness, but I feel like I am manipulating the victim that way.

Hi Jean,
    I decided to join the Word for Wednesday, although I decided that since my blog is a music blog, I'd also use lyrics to prove my point.
    I also call it, "Behind the Lyrics", but it's my version of TWFW. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks, Jay

3. Miss Szymanski says:

Oh boy! I am SO guilty of this!
    But you are so right… when we sin, we need to ask for forgiveness (from God and others), but then we need to "Go and sin no more." That is, with God's help, don't do it again; don't knowingly repeat the sin. I think that is where many of us get messed up, because instead of asking God to help us, we justify ourselves instead.

Thanks for sharing…

Hi,
    I have been reading The Word For Wednesday on Mrs. Mecomber's website (and also on my sister Miss Szymanski's blog, too). I decided to join and did my first Word for Wednesday post today…

Thanks for a great meme!!

5. Hercules Mulligan says:

So true. How much we can learn to truly walk by faith if we just spent the rest of our lives dedicated to combating this self-righteousness that is such a part of our nature. It would really help us to see what it is to rely upon Christ, and not ourselves. Great song!

I am glad that today, I can say I was a good blogger, and I did my post. It's short this time, but it's been on my mind a lot:

Hooray Jean! We have two new recruits! :)

Welcome, Jay and Renee, to the WFW gang. I've made the rounds and left my comments, for what they're worth.

Thanks to all for participating. May God be glorified.