Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 | Author:

I never had any illusions that Lew Rockwell was a Christian, but until recently I thought he was honest. Alas, that has changed, and I thought it was worth sharing.

On Oct. 8th, he posted the following on his blog, titled “TV Censorship”:

• FOX has genuflected to the DEA, and changed its show House, because the lead character was taking pain medications. For a very long time, the moral monsters of the drug war have sought to deny relief to chronic pain sufferers. Now they have included fictional sufferers as well. (Thanks to Felipe Franco)

I followed through the links, and sent Rockwell an email:

• Lew, you need to be more careful what you post. If you follow the links back, the source for this story was an anonymous commenter named “Bruce”, who suggests we file FOIL requests with the DEA to verify his story. Bruce apparently doesn’t have time, because he posts reviews of TV shows on a regular basis.

The exchange continued as follows:

• Rockwell: Well, I talked to a friend who is a fervent Housian, and she confirmed the change.
  • me: Well, the change in the show is accurate, but there’s nothing that says the DEA was involved.
  • Rockwell: Only the drug war can be at fault. Does that mean the DEA specifically mugged the show, or just created the climate? In either case, it is responsible.

I don’t know about you, but this has bothered me ever since. Apparently, it doesn’t matter to Rockwell whether his initial post was truthful or not, as long as he makes his point – any means to an end. Apparently, he doesn’t care whether he misleads people, as long as his underlying agenda is supported.

And I’m sure he won’t care that I’ve removed my links to his blog and other articles. But deceit has far greater consequences, and I hope he takes the time to mull them over. In fact, we all should.

You destroy those who speak falsehood; The LORD abhors the man of bloodshed and deceit.
(Psalms 5:6)

He who practices deceit shall not dwell within my house; He who speaks falsehood shall not maintain his position before me.
(Psalms 101:7)

Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight.
(Proverbs 12:22)

A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who tells lies will not escape.
(Proverbs 19:5)

“These are the things which you should do: speak the truth to one another; judge with truth and judgment for peace in your gates. Also let none of you devise evil in your heart against another, and do not love perjury; for all these are what I hate,” declares the LORD.
(Zechariah 8:16-17)

Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.
(John 8:43-45)

Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.
(2 Thessalonians 2:8-12)

But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.
(Revelation 21:8)

1. Queen of Pith says:

Any means to an end – sounds like a lot of media.

I think there's still a lot at the Rockwell site that's worth reading (they ran something of mine once, so you know they're all right — ha, ha!). I would agree that his wording was misleading, and perhaps intentionally so … but a "lawyerly" reading would note that he said that Fox had "genuflected" to the DEA, which strictly speaking does not require any participation on the DEA's part. (For example, lots of Muslims genuflect to Allah every day, and Allah doesn't even know anything about it, because Allah's nonexistent.)

Still, there's a lot at Rockwell that I don't even read: lots of food-crankery, lots of "smoking is really good for you," that kind of thing. It also troubles me that Ron Paul apparently can do no wrong in the eyes of LRC. I'm an admirer of Mr. Paul myself, and I sent him some of my surplus worthless Federal Reserve Notes back in '08. But the idolatry's a little off-putting.

@Lisa It does indeed, which is why I rarely read MSM.

@Jim Worth reading, perhaps. Worth linking to and possibly misleading others who don't know that Lew thinks it's okay to stretch the truth? Not on my blog – not even for your very excellent article which I read a while back. :)

And as for a "lawyerly" reading, what do you do with the post title of "TV Censorship?"

Maybe I'm just getting crochety in my old age, but when I give someone the opportunity to get it right and they simply try to justify their error, I just don't bother with them anymore. If truth isn't an important part of their character, then God will indeed send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false. (2 Thes 2:8-12) I've seen it happen multiple times, and it just goes from bad to worse.

I do agree on the Ron Paul thing, though. I, too, like a lot that he says and does, and I have a lot of respect for the man, but if we start believing that anyone can do no wrong, we've lost our discernment.

Very well done, Jean! That is a very good point you are making- too many people say one thing, and turn around to their old way again. We should all take a lesson from what you have shared.

BTW, thanks for adding me to mr. linky every week! I very much appreciate it!!

5. AKA Angrywhiteman says:

I think this is a great lesson to trust not in man and to try the spirit, 1Jo 4:1.

And while it could be said the verse is taken out of context, I would defend it's use because of the amount of dualism in the Word.

Just my 2cents.

@Jay Thanks, Jay. It can be a hard thing to balance the desire to give people the benefit of the doubt against using discernment to detect the truth. Unfortunatley, truth is becoming less and less important to more and more people.

@AKA It is indeed a good lesson, but until God reveals the truth (which He always does, eventually) I try to be generous.