I never had any illusions that Lew Rockwell was a Christian, but until recently I thought he was honest. Alas, that has changed, and I thought it was worth sharing.
On Oct. 8th, he posted the following on his blog, titled “TV Censorship”:
- FOX has genuflected to the DEA, and changed its show House, because the lead character was taking pain medications. For a very long time, the moral monsters of the drug war have sought to deny relief to chronic pain sufferers. Now they have included fictional sufferers as well. (Thanks to Felipe Franco)
I followed through the links, and sent Rockwell an email:
- Lew, you need to be more careful what you post. If you follow the links back, the source for this story was an anonymous commenter named “Bruce”, who suggests we file FOIL requests with the DEA to verify his story. Bruce apparently doesn’t have time, because he posts reviews of TV shows on a regular basis.
The exchange continued as follows:
- Rockwell: Well, I talked to a friend who is a fervent Housian, and she confirmed the change.
- me: Well, the change in the show is accurate, but there’s nothing that says the DEA was involved.
- Rockwell: Only the drug war can be at fault. Does that mean the DEA specifically mugged the show, or just created the climate? In either case, it is responsible.
I don’t know about you, but this has bothered me ever since. Apparently, it doesn’t matter to Rockwell whether his initial post was truthful or not, as long as he makes his point – any means to an end. Apparently, he doesn’t care whether he misleads people, as long as his underlying agenda is supported.
And I’m sure he won’t care that I’ve removed my links to his blog and other articles. But deceit has far greater consequences, and I hope he takes the time to mull them over. In fact, we all should.
You destroy those who speak falsehood; The LORD abhors the man of bloodshed and deceit.
He who practices deceit shall not dwell within my house; He who speaks falsehood shall not maintain his position before me.
Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight.
A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who tells lies will not escape.
“These are the things which you should do: speak the truth to one another; judge with truth and judgment for peace in your gates. Also let none of you devise evil in your heart against another, and do not love perjury; for all these are what I hate,” declares the LORD.
Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.
Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.
(2 Thessalonians 2:8-12)
But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.