Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 | Author:

The Word for Wednesday grew out of the realization that we are daily bombarded with words and pictures from a secular world that doesn’t know or acknowledge God. If ever there was a week that we needed more of God’s Word as a light in the darkness, this week is it.

My scripture choice follows, but to see what others have shared, click on Mr. Linky.

This past Saturday evening, the President of the United States of America attended a Human Rights Campaign dinner. For those of you not familiar with the organization, their website says they are “working for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equal rights.” (GLBT)

What follows, without comment, is Romans chapter 1, beginning in verse 16 (in red), interspersed with portions of Obama’s speech to the GLBT. This is the same man who was baptized as a Christian in the 1990′s, and the same man who in a 2006 speech mocked the Bible, including the words our Lord spoke in the Sermon on the Mount.

* * *

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.”

For despite the real gains that we’ve made, there’s still laws to change and there’s still hearts to open.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

There are still fellow citizens, perhaps neighbors, even loved ones — good and decent people — who hold fast to outworn arguments and old attitudes; who fail to see your families like their families

For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

It’s the story of progress sought by those with little influence or power; by men and women who brought about change through quiet, personal acts of compassion — and defiance — wherever and whenever they could.

For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

It’s the story of an epidemic that decimated a community — and the gay men and women who came to support one another and save one another; who continue to fight this scourge;

And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;

And it’s the story of the Human Rights Campaign and the fights you’ve fought for nearly 30 years: helping to elect candidates who share your values; standing against those who would enshrine discrimination into our Constitution; advocating on behalf of those living with HIV/AIDS; and fighting for progress in our capital and across America. (Applause.)

This story, this fight continue now. And I’m here with a simple message: I’m here with you in that fight.

and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

Category: Bible, homosexuality, Obama
  1. Queen of Pith says:

Interesting.

Of course, you could post about lying since Obama really is lying to these people.

2. AKA Angrywhiteman says:

This is no snarky play on words, but came from the mouth of Jesus;

Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Is it judging to call a thief a thief? No, his actions attest that he is indeed a thief. On the other hand to proclaim that he will be going to hell, now that is judging.

These people continually pervert the word of God to fit their purposes; ie "Thou shalt not judge, Judge not" throwing it in our faces.

Psa 56:5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts [are] against me for evil.

2Pe 3:16 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

These people have written their own sentence, God will deal with them, justly.

We must rightly divide the word of truth,(who, what, why, when and where) not letting it be used as a weapon against us.

@Lisa True enough. But then I think Obama lies to most everyone, doesn't he? It's just that many of us don't believe him.

@AKA I'm not sure we can apply the Matthew 7 verses you quoted to this situation. I think they were a specific warning about false prophets.

Speaking of judging, I found this commentary a couple weeks ago that I thought was sound. See what you think: http://tinyurl.com/yl9upms

Re 2 Pet 3:16: As I read that verse, all I could think was, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

"We do not have to accept their lifestyle. We do not have to accept their filth as okay." We surely don't. Instead, we need to pray that they will come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

4. J. P. Schilling says:

Magnificent! Resounding and wonderful, bbrraavvoo! I think it's your best one yet (or that I've seen). Amazing how you were able to critically think as Obama was speaking and your immediate position with God's word. I'm humbled.

I really must agree with AKA Angrywhiteman's assessment of this: "We do not have to accept their lifestyle. We do not have to accept their filth as okay."

For some odd reason the LGBT community feels as though it's their right and that the rest of us have to accept them. Go figure!

jps

5. AKA Angrywhiteman says:

aka regarding Matt 7, IMHO I see Obama as a false prophet giving these poor souls false hope, he comes draped in the the name of Christ, calling himself a Christ Man, and encourages their behavior. He plants seeds that bear false fruit. That is the fruit I see. To give these people the idea that what they do is acceptable shows them absolutely no love at all, it lets them continue to believe the lifestyle is not a sin. Who them bears the greater wrong? The sinner or the person that gives their sin license?

Regarding judgment that's Gods venue.
    Regarding observations, I believe we're allowed.

@JP Thanks for your kind words, but I didn't respond. The Bible did.

@AKA Interesting. While many people seem to have declared Obama to be a prophet, I don't think he's declared that himself. And while his support of the gay community certainly has an impact, this activism was going on long before Obama came into the picture.

For myself, I tend to apply the Matthew 7 false prophet warnings to those who claim to speak for the church – and the Lord knows, there are plenty of those.

7. AKA Angrywhiteman says:

aka, As you so aptly stated in another place, we may not always agree. I concur, it would be needless to post if we did.;-)

Nice juxtaposition!

Beware of sticky-fingered readers … I suspect I'll be "borrowing" that idea some time in the future …

@Jim Go for it, my friend. I'm sure I've "borrowed" some of your ideas. :)

Nice post, but I did hate having to read what that kook has to say (and by that I do NOT mean Paul, lol!). I've managed to avoid it, only hearing sounds bites from time to time.

It's tragic, truly. Our once glorious nation, swirling down the toilet into the sewer. :(

@Rebecca It's hard and getting harder, I think, for Christians to view our world, but we can't say we weren't warned. God put this verse in my heart many years ago:

Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain. Ecclesiastes 1:18