Monday, November 23rd, 2009 | Author:

We’ve received several complaints from our students that they felt harassed, that they felt that their safety has come into question and that they felt personally attacked.

So said McGill University student society president Ivan Neilson in Montreal.  The problem?  That annoying student pro-life club.  Some students “claimed that Choose Life had disseminated false health information (the abortion/breast cancer (ABC) link that is denied by Health Canada) and exposed students to graphic images associated with abortion and fetal life.”  They lodged official complaints and the club has been suspended from campus.

In addition, last month some protesters (the same ones?) had drowned out a pro-life presentation entitled “Echoes of the Holocaust,” effectively shutting it down.  Said one student:

… as a human being, but also as a Jew, I would say that this kind of comparison is not acceptable.  By this ridiculous claim of trying to ‘humanize’ foetuses in order to further their cause, they are dehumanizing Jews.

Setting aside the actual abortion issue for a moment, look at what’s going on here.  Some students disagree with some other students.  Their solutions?  1) rudely disrupt their activities, and 2) get their club suspended.  The obvious intent here is to deny the pro-life group the right to speak their position.  Silence the opposition.

As for the protesters and their position on abortion?  I think it goes like this:

• Don’t harrass me with the truth.
  • Don’t make me look at what I support.
  • Don’t … burst … my … bubble.

If you’re among them, and the following photos make you feel “harassed” “unsafe” and “personally attacked” – good.   It might just “humanize” you, along with the “foetuses,” and make you change your mind.

fetus 15 weeks

fetus 4.5 months

fetus 24 weeks

aborted fetus

aborted fetus 7 months

aborted fetus, head and arm detached

If you’ve made it this far, I’d encourage you to visit the Holocaust Memorial Wall.  There are no more graphic photos, but you can  adopt an aborted baby and give it the name and identity it was denied.

Another good site is Personhood USA, who seeks to establish legal “personhood” for pre-born children through peaceful activism, legislative efforts and ballot-access petition initiatives.

Powerful post — thanks.

I’ve read that Canada’s not exactly a stronghold of free speech. One of the places, along with much of Europe, where you can get arrested for questioning the numbers on the Holocaust. I’m sure we’ll be equally advanced soon enough.

Thanks, Jim.

Canada’s not a stronghold for much of anything these days, except maybe loons.

3. Silvia says:

Hi,

FYI, in case you’re still curious I thought I’d share how I found you. I’m sitting here happily pregnant. I did a google search on “24 week fetus” (filtered by images) and saw your very graphic images of what you label as “aborted 7 month fetus”. My partner and I had hoped we’d share an insight to what our little one looks like (having been feeling strong movements all day) I was visually assaulted by your image. It was kinda uncool really. My partner and I exchanged a few words – something to the effect of abortion at an advanced stage of pregnancy not being a decision taken lightly. I’m strangely attracted to the grotesque and naturally curious so I’d clicked on the image hoping to learn more. And where I’d hoped there’d be some kind of explanation, there was none. Pretty gratuitous stuff. In truth I doubt the authenticity of many of your images. And in truth, I think your motives are highly questionable and your sensitivity and empathy completely flawed. So don’t worry about the guilty woman of your fantasies looking for the full truth of what she’s done… you’re pretty much just hitting a rich seam of anxiety in pregnant women looking for images of what’s going on with their current pregnancy . Good luck with that, keep up the good work.

Silvia, I’m truly sorry you were disturbed by these images. If not for your strange attraction to the grotesque, you could easily have clicked away. Incidentally, over 95% of those who view this post and these images have done a google search for “aborted fetus.” You are in a small minority.

5. king bowie says:

P.S. you said
    “over 95% of those who view this post and these images have done a google search for “aborted fetus.” ”
    Idk where you got this fact from, but an image from your blog comes up on the first page of a google image search just for the word “foetus”, so that seems a more likely source of traffic :s

“I find it very unlikely that the gang of pro life students would have been disbanded by the univeristy had there not been reasonable evidence to support the claims made by other students.”

Then you, king bowie, have far more faith in Canadian authority figures than I do.

“I feel that people should have the right to decide their own beliefs for themselves, but I don’s think that makes it ok for them to then go shoving their beliefs down other people’s throats.”

This statement would apply to both sides of the issue. Did you read the part where pro-abortion protesters drowned out a presentation?

FYI, I got my fact from sitemeter, where I can monitor all traffic to the blog. Also, the google image search currently has one of my images in the 9th position, not 1st. I think they rotate them. And the image is clearly an aborted fetus.

7. Josh says:

makes me cry that these people do sin ABORTION.