Effective on October 14, 2009, all open burning is prohibited in New York with several exceptions including the following:
- Campfires less than 3 feet in height and 4 feet in length, width or diameter are allowed.
- Small cooking fires are allowed.
- Fires cannot be left unattended and must be fully extinguished.
- Only charcoal or clean, dry, untreated or unpainted wood can be burned.
- Ceremonial or celebratory bonfires are allowed.
So I have to include a tape measure in the camping equipment, but I’m really relieved I can still have my ceremonial bonfires. I wonder if that includes effigies?