Wednesday, November 25th, 2009 | Author:

This year at Thanksgiving, I’m very grateful to God.  I’m grateful for the blessing He’s given me in you – my readers, and my blogger friends.  I’m especially grateful for the “Word for Wednesday” bloggers, and this post is for you.

Since I was saved, I have looked for others of like mind, others whose heart’s cry is to know God, to talk about God, to serve God.  With a few exceptions, my search has been fruitless.  Many times, I have felt like Elijah:

Then he said, “I have been very zealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars and killed Your prophets with the sword. And I alone am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.” (1 Kings 19:14)

When I started the Word for Wednesday meme, though, that wasn’t what I was thinking about.  I was thinking about the dearth of God’s Word on the internet, and the wealth of satan’s word on the internet, and trying to make a dent in that balance.

God, however, had a bigger plan:

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  (Romans 8:28)

That plan included encouragement for me.  Can you imagine that?  The Creator of the Universe made a plan that included encouragement for me, a nobody in upstate New York. That plan included introducing me to some of His children, to those of a like mind and Spirit, those who seek His truth and His heart.  It included Herky and Jim, Rebecca and Lisa, Jon-Paul and Alice, Miss S and Jay, Renee and AkaAngrywhiteman, and the Brickster.  You have all made a difference in my life, and I feel honored to have come to know you.

So this Thanksgiving, in addition to thanks for the many other blessing in my life, I offer a special prayer for my new WFW friends.

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:14-21)

YR5RCR9VEZU4

Category: Word for Wednesday
  1. …”a plan that included encouragement for me, a nobody”…

I have often fell the same humility as the Father touched me, revealing His awesomeness.

Psa 22:6

Isa 41:14

Hey, thank YOU for starting WFW — among other things. “Upstate New York nobody,” indeed! Ha!

Thank you, that is very special.

I am very grateful for you starting this meme and welcoming me as I joined. I have been very blessed by all of the support you have shown to me and the others.

THANK YOU!

5. No; thank YOU, Jean, for obey the Lord and starting the Word for Wednesday! It has been such a blessing to me. It has definately encouraged me to study the Bible more, and as I do, I’m learning something new every day!

And how thankful I am that God uses the “nobodys” of the world!
    Something that struck me about your post — I just read the passage about Elijah as quoted in Romans, and the rest of the passage states, “”I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal” (Romans 11:4). So just as you were saying, when it seems like we are all alone — the only ones doing God’s will — he raises up others who will serve Him alongside us!

@AKA Your scriptures made me laugh out loud. Years ago a group of us formed a “worm club” with accompanying membership cards. Don’t remember just what they said, but there were a lot of people that didn’t want to join. :)

@Jim No, thank you! Isn’t there an old comedy skit like that?

@Renee You’re very welcome. It’s a scripture I pull out for prayer only on rare occasions.

@Jay Thanks, Jay. God does work things for good, doesn’t He?

@Miss S You’re welcome. And you’re right. God always keeps his remnant, even though it’s sometimes hard to find in the midst of our perverse world.

7. Brickster says:

I am very honored to have come to know you, too. And I am very thankful that you made the Word for Wednesday meme, too! (Even thought I am always late!!) Your posts have brought much encouragement to me, and thanks again!

Rom 15:13 And may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Aw look what you did! You made me cry and now my mascara is all over my face. :S

I’m so glad I found you and you found me; you’re such a blessing! And you’re never really alone, God makes sure of that. I know what you mean about desperately looking around at the wickedness in this world, wondering like Isaiah, “None calls for justice, nor does anyone plead for truth; they trust in vanity and speak lies. They conceive mischief and bring out iniquity. ”

I’m reminded of the meditation of the psalmist in Ps 73. It’s one of my favorite psalms, because it helps to ground me when I start to despair:

And they say, How does God know? And is there knowledge in the Most High?
    Behold, these are the ungodly, who are at ease in the world; they increase in riches.
    Surely I have made my heart pure in vain, and washed my hands in innocence.
    For all the day long I have been plagued, and chastened every morning.
    If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I would deceive a generation of Your sons.
    When I thought deeply in order to understand this, it was painful for me, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end.

… For my heart was grieved and I was pricked in my reins.
    So foolish was I, and I did not know; I was like a beast before You.
    But I am always with You; You have held me by my right hand.
    You shall lead me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
    Whom have I in Heaven? And besides You I desire none on earth.
    My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart, and my part forever.
    For lo, those who are far from You shall perish; You have destroyed all who go lusting away from You.
    And I, it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in Jehovah God, to declare all Your works.

I love you, dear friend! God bless you, reaaalllll good. ;)

9. I’m so thankful for you too, Jean. :) I feel the same way — it seems we are all alone, until we run into others “who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”

I too am amazed at the things that our big God does for us little nobodies — something I’ve been marveling at recently, too. :)

I know I’m not on the blogosphere often, but I do think of you often. Hopefully my absence will come to an end in the near future. And then I can get back on the Word For Wednesday meme!

Happy Thanksgiving!

10. Akagaga, I am so blessed that you have been blessed so much! Truly, the one who deserves the thanks is our Lord Jesus– didn’t He plan all this? I can’t tell you enough what an encouragement your meme has been to me. All of us can share what we are learning from the Scriptures with each other, and grow!

I read your post while listening to Hillsong’s “We the Redeemed.” That, I am sure, was planned by the Lord as well. This is the sound of the Redeemed: “Thank you!” And to you, too! ;)

@Brickster You’re welcome. And we don’t penalize anybody for being late. Sometimes that “God of hope” has a different schedule than we do.

@Rebecca Cool. Did somebody get a picture of your mascara-covered face? :) And this is a great psalm. it was painful for me, until I went into the sanctuary of God Perhaps that’s His purpose sometimes, to draw us farther and more frequently into His sanctuary.

@Herky How good to hear from you! I know you have a big project going, and I anxiously wait for the day you get it done. I miss your heart-felt posts, my friend.

@Alice You’re right, of course. To our Lord Jesus be all the glory. But it is a blessing when others go along with His plans. :)

12. No picture– a good thing! “Be ye kind, one to another…” ;) But I am such a sop sometimes. Must be getting older…