Sunday, January 10th, 2010 | Author:

This old fogy is finally going to take the plunge and get an MP3 player.  I spend about 6 hours a week in the car going back and forth to therapy, so I decided to get an audio Bible.  I found one I like for MP3, that I think will be a lot easier in the car than using CD’s – plus it’s a lot cheaper.

So now I need something to play it on, and I’m looking for recommendations from all you savvy folks – or better yet, you unsavvy folks who’ve managed to use an MP3 anyhow.  Here are my requirements:

• it needs to be easy to use
  • I’ll need 1.9 GB to load the Bible, plus I’ll want to add some music
  • it needs to be easy to use
  • I don’t care about a lot of bells and whistles
  • it needs to be easy to use
  • I don’t want to spend a fortune
  • have I mentioned that it needs to be easy to use? :)

So I await the wisdom of all you who have traveled this road before me:  the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Category: Bible, computer stuff

I have a basic little player, made by Memorex (don’t have the model number handy), that I bought from the Office Despot last year. It has 2 GB of memory, and it sounds to me as if you’d want a 4 GB unit, since you have almost 2 GB spoken for already. I just use mine for working out at the Y, and not even for that so much anymore, since most of my cardio work is done in a cycling class (with an instructor to listen to), and an audio player doesn’t work so well for weights and resistance machines, because the cord’s always getting snagged on something. 2 GB is a huge capacity, in terms of music — I’ve never even had mine filled up completely.

I think I gave the Despot about $35 for mine, which was probably a little too much even then. These days, I’m not sure they sell anything smaller than 2 GB, and they’re almost giving those away in boxes of breakfast cereal. I think you’ll be able to find a reasonable price on what you want.

If you plan to use it exclusively with your car audio, you won’t need earbuds. Otherwise, though, the earbuds they sell with the player — an inexpensive one, at least — are not likely to be satisfactory to you; the sound is often mediocre or worse, and they can be quite uncomfortable in the ear.

Good luck, and good hunting!

I have absolutely no idea. I hear that Creative… Creative… forgot what they are called… Creative Nu? Something, is good.

I’m no help, I know. :-p

@Jim Thanks for your input. I haven’t checked the breakfast cereal, but it seems most others are at least 4 GB. I’ll be sure to check out the earbuds – or maybe splurge on the bluetooth version so I don’t get tangled up. :)

@Rebecca What??? The queen of everything electronic hasn’t done MP3 players? Let me take this in. Can I infer that there exists an electronic device which I might possibly possess before you do? Will I get some kind of meritorious award? My name in headlines? Be still my heart.

@everybody else I assume by your silence that I’m not such an old fogy after all. Thanks for the day brightener.

4. Tom says:

Nothing other than an iPod. They are the best and worth every penny. The Shuffle is inexpensive but has no screen. The Nano has a nice screen, takes movies, stores photos, data, movies, etc. Get at least the 4gig model, bigger is better. The earbuds on the iPods are pretty good too. No need to buy something else.

Haha! Jean, I don’t do any gadgets smaller than a breadbox. :D I also hate cell phones and can’t figure out the settings on the blasted things!

Did I just hear the word “mp3 player”? :D

I actually bought a really nice Sandisk Sansa 6 GB off of Ebay brand new for less than $40. They’re pretty easy to use, and some Sandisk’s even come with a direct USB imput for easily connecting to your computer. Hope this helps you out…

@Rebecca So now the truth comes out. You’re the maxi-lectronic lady, not the min-lectronic one. Who knew??? :)

@Jay Now that sounds like just the ticket. Are you happy with it? How’s the battery life?

I hate when I forget to put the last It looks so silly.

And that looks even sillier. I needed to end my bold quote and I didn’t, if this makes any sense to anyone. Someday I’ll have this html down so well that I’ll even be able to do a href’s without screwing them up. Someday.

I’ve been caught by that meta-problem numerous times — you can’t type an html tag in text without having it be either left out or implemented. You sort of have to type your way around it, as: “left pointy bracket, forward slash, lower-case B, right pointy bracket.”

The battery life is great! I can use for probably 20 hours before having to charge it up again. It charges in 3 hours, which you can do over-night, if you want to. Also, this model of mp3 players is great, because it has many extra features that can come with it for additional pay. I really like this model a lot. You can even put pictures and videos on it if you want (mp3 player with mp4 features).

P.S Don’t worry about the bold :D

@Jim Well, that explains my problem. I had no idea those things were called pointy brackets. No wonder I have problems!

@Jay Well, 20 hours ought to be enough time for me to remember to charge it! I finally got a charger for my phone to use in the car, ’cause that’s the only time I remember it! This sounds like the ticket, so I’ll definitely check it out. Thanks, Jay.

Hey Jean,
    Glad I could help you out. FYI, you can see what this model looks like on my header :D

@Jay Well, of course I can. Why didn’t I think of that? :)