Wednesday, February 03rd, 2010 | Author:

Apologies to WFW bloggers, but I’m having a problem with Mr. Linky this week, so you’ll have to leave your link the old-fashioned way:  in a comment.  Hopefully, we’ll have this resolved before next week.

As always, any Christian blogger is invited to participate in the Word for Wednesday.  See the WFW tab at the top of the page.

*   *   *

I posted a while ago about New York city’s grand new taxpayer-funded handbook that guides addicts in the proper use of heroin.

This past week I heard another one that baffles the mind:  Albany, through Catholic Charities and the AIDS Council, funded of course by a state grant (i.e. taxpayers), now has a Needle Wagon.   If you bring your dirty, used needles to the van – anonymously, so no one’s privacy is violated, and you can’t be arrested – they will give you fresh, clean needles.

I’ve always looked at the people who dream these things up as misguided, but well-motivated.  They want to stop heroin addicts from sharing dirty needles, so they teach them to  be cleaner, healthier addicts.

They want to stop the spread of AIDS in the homosexual community, so  they pass out condoms.

They want to reduce teenage pregnancy rates, so they pass out condoms.  (Condoms must be very useful items.)

They want to curb the “obesity epidemic,” so our grocery stores are full of sugar-less, low calorie junk food. (The danger of sugar substitutes is a subject for another time.)

They want to help people get out of paralyzing debt, so we have multiple government plans to relieve them of their debt.  They can re-finance their mortgage, file for bankruptcy, and now Obama wants to put a limit on the number of years student loans have to be repaid.

No matter the problem people face, someone will try to devise a way to let them have their cake and eat it, too.

After chewing on this all week, I’ve come to believe that the “helping” community who devise these plans are not really compassionate – they’re ignorant and rebellious.  Harsh, I know, but let me try to explain this with a less politically-charged analogy.

Suppose someone has a gas leak in their house.  The gas causes a fire.  The neighbors see the fire and call 911.  Then they help the people get out of the house.  The fire department shows up and turns on their hoses.  But nobody ever investigates to find the source of the fire, so the gas is still leaking.  The fire still rages.  The house burns to the ground.

This, I believe, is what is happening all across America.  While the analogy is not perfect, it does highlight the fact that to solve a problem, you need to get to the root of the problem, not just treat the symptoms.

And the root of a heroin addict’s problem is heroin addiction.

The root of a homosexual’s problem is homosexuality.

The root of the teen pregnancy problem is fornication.

The root of the obesity problem is gluttony.

The root of a debtor’s problem is spending more than they make.

All of these “problems” are rooted in sin.

But Americans no longer talk about sin.  It’s not politically correct.  People are not at fault for the self-induced problems they face.  And people who are not at fault have no reason to repent.  They have no reason to look to God for help.  They have no reason to reach out to Jesus and say, “I’m a sinner.”  Thus, they never find the only real solution to their problems.

And that, I believe, is the root of the problem of the “helping” community.  Whether they know it or not, they are in rebellion against God’s truth.  They refuse to acknowledge the difference between right and wrong.  They refuse to hold people accountable for their actions, which are clearly spelled out in the Bible.

Speaking lies to make people feel better is not compassion.  It’s rebellion.  It’s the serpent in the garden saying, “You can be like God.”  You can decide what is sin, and you can mitigate the God-ordained consequences for that sin.  You can declare peace when there is no peace.  And you can lead countless people into hell for all eternity.

The more immediate result of this rebellion, of playing God, is that a fire rages out of control in America.  Unless we repent and turn to the cross for forgiveness and help, America will be consumed by a wall of fiery lies.

As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love. So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness. But you did not learn Christ in this way, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another.  (Ephesians 4:14-25)

I also, marvel at society’s “compassionate” instructions. Bunch of poppycock– they still want chaos, just “controlled” chaos. As with the public schools– so many cry out for reform, but there will never be reform! The social engineering is chugging along right on schedule.

Poppycock. Poppycock? You crack me up, Rebecca. Have you, perchance, been spending time with our friend Herky? :)

3. Chris says:

I am a straight conservative man, but even I find this post to be completely ignorant and devoid of all rational thought.

“And the root of a heroin addict’s problem is heroin addiction.
    The root of a homosexual’s problem is homosexuality.”

The root of a heroin addict’s problem is, in fact, the socioeconomic problems that have caused them to turn to that lifestyle in the first place.

It also is astounding to me that in this day and age, there are still people who think that homosexuals should be condemned merely for being gay.

Also though, so that you know, there are far more heterosexual people that have HIV & AIDS than homosexuals. Even the percentage of heterosexuals with HIV/AIDS is higher than the percentage of homosexuals with HIV/AIDS.

In short – the possibly misguided help of some is far less of a problem than the ignorance of many.

4. Chris says:

Additionally, heroin addicts will continue to use drugs whether or not they have clean needles – at least we are stopping the spread of HIV in the process.

5. Megan says:

As a conservative blogger myself, I just received wind this evening of this gem of a posting and had to check it out for myself. Do people in this day and age still believe such tripe?

I understand you’re doing the whole, “I’m a Christian” thing, but I think you may or may not have missed the entire point of being religious at all. The point was to love one another, and that no one is to judge another. Your blog is dedicated to simply that.

I won’t touch upon each individual thought that I find distasteful, as I don’t feel the need. Your opinion speaks volumes and represents the lowest common denomination of uneducated, illigitimized rationals behind Bible-grippping, judgemental people who have the nerve to call themselves human.

I find it intriguing that to journey through life you’ve attributed other people’s issues as sins, and attributed a more forgiving society as a pathetic attempt to rid themselves of needing God or religion.

I urge you to rethink your opinion, as strongly rooted as you seem to be in ignorance. What is there is no God? What if you went through your entire life judging other people with ridiculous rants hiding behind a Christian complex? What then? It’s shameful.

And perhaps what’s more thought provoking:

What if there is a God, and he finds you judging and calling shots on other people as distasteful as the rest of us?

I think the judgement would be on you.

@ Chris/Megan As you commented from the same computer and seem to hold similar views, I’ll address you together.

I’m not going to comment on your specific points, other than to note that you hold very unusual opinions for “conservative” folks.

I also find it intriguing that you took the time to read 51 pages on my blog when you so clearly disagree with me. This leads me to believe that the Holy Spirit is trying to show you something.

Come back anytime.

7. Megan says:

Your tracker is incorrect. We are graduate students at a prestigious university in the Northeast, and we do not reside together. Did the Holy Spirit inform you of that?

We read a cumulative 51 pages to make an example out of you in a classroom setting to show how delusional people blinded by religion allow their rationals to become.

Perhaps we can invite you to be a guest speaker sometime. It would be a great example to show young and eager minds how in this day and age, there are still people who believe such tripe about other human beings. And to show them that paying for an education as costly as their own will behoove them so they grow to be free thinkers who have no patience for those will incarcerated ideals.

Ah, Megan, you are obviously an accomplished liar. I give you an “A” for creativity, but an “F” for believability.

I pray that God will have mercy on you and open your eyes to the value of truth.